Old fashioned apple cake. This cake is an old, old favorite of ours. It's a cake where the whole is definitely more than the sum of the parts. The moist, semi-chunky cake, spread Add the apples and nuts, and mix until the apples release some of their juice and the stiff mixture becomes a thick, creamy batter, somewhere between.
Old Fashioned Apple Cake. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Old-Fashioned Apple Cake with Brown Sugar FrostingA Beautiful Mess by Monica. Cake: Cream butter and sugar, then add egg and beat. You can cook Old fashioned apple cake using 18 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Old fashioned apple cake
- Prepare of For the cake:.
- It’s 280 g (2 1/3 cup) of plain flour.
- Prepare 200 g (1 cup) of caster sugar.
- You need 2 tsp of bicarbonate of soda.
- You need 3/4 tsp of fine salt.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ground ginger.
- You need 1/4 tsp of ground or grated nutmeg.
- Prepare 2 of large eggs.
- You need 115 g (1 stick) of butter, softened.
- Prepare 400 g (1 pound) of cooking Bramley apples, peeled, cored and diced.
- Prepare 100 g (1/2 cup) of sultanas or raisins.
- You need of For the frosting:.
- Prepare 50 g (3 1/2 tbsp.) of butter.
- It’s 70 g (5 tbsp.) of brown sugar.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of fine salt.
- Prepare 30 ml (3 tbsp.) of milk.
- It’s 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
Add rest of dry ingredients and beat til mixed. Pour into greased and floured large round, deep cake pan. *Use greased and lightly floured parchment paper. on the bottom for easier removal. A good, old-fashioned glazed apple cake! It's made with a TON of fresh apples, butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, buttermilk… *singing This glazed apple cake is as old-fashioned as it gets.
Old fashioned apple cake instructions
- Butter and flour or line with parchment a round 23cm (10in) springform cake tin..
- Place the diced apples and raisins in a large bowl and pour over the brown sugar. Let them sit for 30 minutes until they release some juice..
- Beat the other ingredients thoroughly together until smooth in another bowl..
- When the half an hour’s passed, add the cake mix to the apples and mix until combined..
- Transfer the batter to the tin and smooth the surface with a spatula..
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean..
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tin..
- To make the frosting, melt the sugar and butter in a small pan until dissolved. Add the salt, pour in the milk and the vanilla extract and bring to the boil. Take it off the heat and beat the icing sugar into the mix until smooth..
- Spread on the cooled cake and let it set before removing the cake from the tin..
None of that fancy-schmancy throwing in everything under the sun like coconut, nuts, caramels, etc. Make this yummy apple cake and leave it in the refrigerator overnight and you will have a delicious dessert on your hands. Barbara found this recipe in our Grandma's recipe box and this Old-Fashioned Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce recipe belonged to our Great-Aunt Frieda. Easy to make and oh so delicious, this old fashioned apple cake is a family favorite recipe! It's perfect for fall gatherings, Thanksgiving/Friendsgiving.