Ohn No Khauk Swe / Burmese Laksa. Ohn no khao swè (Burmese: အုန်းနို့ခေါက်ဆွဲ; MLCTS: un: nui. hkauk hcwai:; IPA: [ʔóʊɴ no̰ kʰaʊʔ sʰwɛ́]) is a Burmese dish consisting of wheat noodles in a curried chicken and coconut milk broth thickened with gram flour (chickpea flour). Big thanks to Progresso for sponsoring this video. Here's how to take a can of chicken noodle soup and add a few things to make Ohn no Khao Swe or. "Ohn-No Khao Swè" literally means "Coconut Milk Noodles" (and then you get into all kinds of murky This is a wonderfully subtle, lightly curried dish, vaguely like laksa but comforting and flavoursome Which reminds me, ohn-no khao swè will also go down in my personal history as the dish that I.
She is the best cook of Burmese. Ohn no khao swè, meaning noodles with coconut milk, is a traditional Burmese dish that is believed to have inspired the creation of Thailand's khao sai. It consists of boiled egg noodles and pieces of curried chicken smothered in a creamy coconut-milk-and-chicken soup. You can cook Ohn No Khauk Swe / Burmese Laksa using 17 ingredients and 21 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Ohn No Khauk Swe / Burmese Laksa
- You need of Whole Chicken.
- You need of Salt.
- It’s of Turmeric Powder.
- You need of Dried Peanuts.
- It’s of Dahl Flour or Dhal.
- You need of Onions.
- You need of Dried Chilli Powder (Bright Red).
- Prepare of Coconut Milk.
- It’s of Evaporated Milk.
- It’s of Egg Noodles.
- It’s of Kway Teow Rice Noodles.
- Prepare of Fish Sauce.
- You need of Vegetarian Mushroom Seasoning (Substitute for MSG).
- You need of Rice Grains.
- Prepare of Fried Chilli Powder (Dark Red).
- You need of “Pae Kyaw” (fried chick peas in glutin rice dough).
- Prepare of Lemons.
The soup is typically thickened with. The Rangoon Sisters: Recipes from our Burmese family kitchen. The definitive guide to creating authentic Burmese dishes at home. Easy-to-follow recipes for noodle and rice dishes, curries, salads and more.
Ohn No Khauk Swe / Burmese Laksa instructions
- Rub one whole chicken with salt and Turmeric Powder and boil in water for 20 minutes. Following which, we cut into small pieces. You can choose to remove the bones for aesthetics’ purpose. Keep the boiled water for later.
- Pound the onions.
- Warm the peanuts without oil. Remove the outer skin..
- Heat up the groundnut oil and add in the pounded onions with turmeric powder. Leave the onions there for 2 mins until it smells good..
- Add in 2 spoons of red Chilli powder and mix. Following which add fish sauce.
- Add in the chicken and mix. Add in 3 spoons of coconut milk for the aroma. It will start to smell good..
- Add in the water that was used to boil the chicken that was mixed with salt and turmeric. Add in more water until it feels almost half the cooking wok. Wait for it to boil..
- Grind the peanuts into powder. Put water and grind again. For all kinds of powder, put water and pour it in..
- Cook the uncooked rice grains with heat without oil. And grind with water. Pour it in and stir thoroughly..
- Wait to boil. Prepare 3 eggs. Stir it..
- Simultaneously add the scrambled raw eggs and stir..
- Add 3 spoons of salt..
- If you don’t have Dahl powder, grind the Dahl dry first without water. Then add water later and grind. Add it to the wok..
- Pour in half of the evaporated milk can. And wait for the dhal and rice powder to soften. Taste it and add salt accordingly..
- To set aside a portion for the health conscious, you can start to set aside this cooked mixture before we pour in a whole can of coconut milk..
- Pour in the whole can of coconut milk..
- Taste the mixture. Add in vegetable mushroom seasoning, if lacking flavour..
- After a while, reduce the heat intensity and leave the powder to cook. The soup is now complete..
- Prepare water to cook the noodles. Wait for water to boil. Filter the water away and wash the noodles with running water to remove chemicals..
- While waiting for water to boil, set aside some cut onions, lemon as well as “Pae Kyaw” (fried chick peas in glutin rice dough) and to put in separately into the dish later. Additionally, set aside some fish sauce and fried Chilli powder..
- Pour in the soup mixture into the bowl of noodles. It’s your preference to add egg noodles or rice noodles, or both. Add in the prepared ingredients from Step 11 according to preference. Now you have a delicious bowl of Ohn No Khauk Swe.
From impressive dinner party centrepieces to quick weeknight meals. Ohn No Khauk Swe (ohn no khao swè, ohn no kauk swe) is a Burmese noodle dish with a spiced chicken coconut broth. This is a great curry for those who don't like a lot of heat. It is made by grinding garbanzo beans into a powder and is used as a thickening agent or to make Burmese tofu. Love these Asian noodle soup bowls whether it is pho, laksa, forgetting the Thai one, or the chicken soups from Latin America.