Tangzhong Milk Bread.
You can cook Tangzhong Milk Bread using 12 ingredients and 17 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Tangzhong Milk Bread
- Prepare of Tangzhong:.
- Prepare of Bread Flour,.
- Prepare of Water,.
- It’s of Dough:.
- Prepare of Active Instant Dry Yeast,.
- Prepare of Whole Milk Lukewarm,.
- You need of Bread Flour,.
- It’s of Demerara Sugar,.
- It’s of Sea Salt,.
- It’s of Eggs,.
- You need of Room Temperature Softened Unsalted Butter, 40g + More For Greasing.
- Prepare of Egg Wash, 1 Egg Yolk + 1 TBSP Whole Milk.
Tangzhong Milk Bread step by step
- Prepare the tangzhong. In a skillet over medium-low heat, add flour and water. Stir to combine well. *Make sure no large lumps.*.
- Continue cooking until it thickens. The roux should stick to your spatula without falling. Transfer into a bowl. Cover with cling film and chill in the fridge overnight..
- Prepare the dough. Take the roux out of the fridge and place it on a counter at room temperature at least 1 hr prior to making the dough. In a bowl, combine milk and yeast until the yeast has dissolved. *The milk has to be lukewarm.*.
- Set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Mix to combine well. Gradually pour in the milk mixture while mixing with a spatula. Fold to combine well. Add in egg. Fold to combine well..
- Once it becomes a dough, knead the dough inside the bowl until all the nooks and crannies of flour are kneaded into the dough, about 5 mins. Add in the tangzhong. Knead for about 3 mins until the tangzhong is fully incorporated..
- Add in the butter. Continue kneading for another 3 mins. Transfer onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 to 8 mins. *Do take note that the tangzhong and butter has to be at room temperature.*.
- The dough should be tacky, but not sticky, and it should pass the "window-pane" test. If the dough is too dry, add in water, 1 TBSP at a time. If the dough is too sticky, add in flour, 1 TBSP at a time. Lightly grease the bowl with some butter. Transfer the dough back to the greased bowl. Cover with cling film and let rise for 30 mins..
- It should slightly risen. Punch down the dough and fold the top, sides and bottom to the center. Flip, cover and let rise for 1 hr. This process is sorta to ensure that the yeast is activated..
- The dough should be doubled in size. *You can do a test by poking a floured finger into the dough. If it doesn't spring back, the yeast is activated properly and the dough is ready.* Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces..
- Form each piece into balls. Cover with cling film and let rest for 15 mins. This is called the bench rest which allows the gluten to relax. Grease bread pan with butter..
- Roll a dough ball into an oblong disc. Fold the top 2/3 way to the bottom. Gently press to seal the sim. Fold the bottom 2/3 way to the top. Gently press to seal the sim..
- Rotate 90 degrees. Roll with the rolling pin. Fold the top 2/3 way to the bottom. Gently press to seal the sim..
- Fold down to meet the bottom. Gently pinch the sim. Roll the dough simmed side down to smoothen..
- Transfer into the greased bread pan. Repeat the process for the remaining dough balls. You will have 3 dough balls, side by side in your loaf pan..
- Cover with cling film and let rise for 45 mins. Preheat oven to 175 degree celsius or 350 fahrenheit. The dough balls should rise about 2 inches above the top of the loaf pan. Whisk egg wash until well combined..
- Brush the egg wash onto the dough. Wack into the oven and bake for 45 mins or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven. Immediately unmold onto a wire cooling rack..
- Melt some butter in skillet over a stovetop. Immediately, brush the melted butter onto the top crust to give that extra shine. Set aside to cool down completely before slicing. Use this sandwich bread for your sandwich adventures, or simply make a toast. I just simply spread my nyonya kaya..