French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup. This french onion soup recipe is made with perfectly caramelized onions, fresh thyme sprigs, crusty baguette slices and two It's just your classic, traditional French onion soup. With the most perfect caramelized onions in a cozy stock with fresh thyme sprigs, finished off with crusty French baguette. Look, French Onion Soup a challenging soup to eat: chunks of chewy cheese and soggy bread floating on top.but it's supposed to be that way.
Stay warm with this GREAT French onion soup! With beef stock base, slow-cooked caramelized onions, French bread, gruyere and Parmesan cheese. Your soup will only be as good as the stock you are using. You can cook French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup
- It’s 6 of large and sweet onions.
- It’s 30 ml (1 oz) of extra virgin olive oil (2 tablespoons).
- Prepare 60 g (2 oz) of butter.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic.
- You need 2 (70 oz.) of Liters of meat broth.
- Prepare 12 slices of baguette bread.
- You need 3 tablespoons of wheat flour.
- You need 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- It’s of Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste).
- You need 30 ml (1 oz) of brandy or cognac.
- You need 120 g (4 oz) of soft grated cheese (Gruyère type).
This soup traditionally is made with beef stock, though sometimes a good beef stock. This best-ever French onion soup recipe gets flavor from a rich homemade beef broth and slowly caramelized sliced onions. Chef Matt Conroy makes a hearty beef broth that becomes the foundation for his richly flavored classic French onion soup. The first step to making traditional French onion soup is to transform that big pile of raw onions into the decadent, sweet, and irresistibly caramelized onions that will form the rich base of this recipe.
French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup instructions
- In this Onion French Soup we must use sweet onions, we will find them in any market. If another type of onion is used but the flavor will no longer be equally soft and sweet.
- Peel the sweet onions and cut them into julienne (lengthwise and thinly sliced). we put them in a bowl..
- We choose a large casserole, heat the oil in the bottom of the casserole. We add butter, which is the true basis of this French soup..
- When it has melted and mixed with the olive oil, add the onions and finely chopped garlic.
- If we have not used sweet onions, add a spoonful of sugar. Sprinkle the flour in the pan and stir gently to mix well. The effect of the flour with the onion and especially the butter is called Roux, it will help us to bind and thicken the soup..
- Add the brandy and let 2 minutes evaporate to the alcohol..
- We introduce the broth that could be meat, vegetables or chicken. Bring all these ingredients to a boil for 15-20 minutes over a very low heat. Cut the bread into thin slices and toast them lightl.
- Onion French Soup, is a liquid soup but it can be transformed into creamy. It adds a little starch that gives a texture between soup and cream. A recipe worthy of both a first course and a main one in a simple and special dinner for cold nights.
Caramelization is actually a really simple process, but it does take some time. French onion soup is a bistro classic, the most homey and delicious example of good café cooking. But only a handful of frugal ingredients make up this restaurant favorite. Onions, broth, salt, and butter mingle in a slow magic that transforms them into a wildly luxurious bowl of silky onions and dark broth. So, I'm kind of guessing that's the real story.