French Onion Soup. Stay warm with this GREAT French onion soup! With beef stock base, slow-cooked caramelized onions, French bread, gruyere and Parmesan cheese. French onion soup (French: soupe à l'oignon [sup a lɔɲɔ̃]) is a type of soup usually based on meat stock and onions, and often served gratinéed with croutons or a larger piece of bread covered with.
Learn how to make French onion soup with this classic French onion soup recipe! It's easy to make, full of amazing flavor, and can be made vegetarian by using vegetable stock. French onion soup can be a little fussy, time-consuming, and tear-inducing, but if you've got a few hours on a rainy Saturday, there are few better ways to spend it than in the pursuit of this classic. You can have French Onion Soup using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup
- It’s 4 of Brown Onions *thinly sliced.
- You need 30 g of Butter *OR Olive Oil 2 tablespoons.
- You need 4 cups of Chicken/Beef/Vegetable Stock.
- It’s 1/2 cup of White Wine *optional.
- Prepare of Salt.
- You need of Freshly Ground Black Pepper.
- It’s 8 slices of Baguette (French Stick).
- You need of Tasty Cheese OR Parmesan Cheese 1/4 cup each serving *grated.
Look, French Onion Soup a challenging soup to eat: chunks of chewy cheese and soggy bread floating on top.but it's supposed to be that way. I often suggest additions or subtractions to a recipe. French onion soup is one of my favorite comfort foods. For years, I haven't been able to find a good vegetarian version of it, because it's traditionally made with beef broth.
French Onion Soup step by step
- Place Onion and Butter in a large heat-proof bowl and cover with a large plate. Heat for 3 minutes, mix, and heat 2 more minutes. Mix and heat extra 2 more minutes..
- Carefully transfer the onion to a large sauce pan or a pot, cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, turn down the heat if needed, until caramelised and browned..
- Add Stock and Wine (*optional), and bring to the boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes. Season with Salt and Pepper..
- Preheat the over to 200C or the grill on medium-high. Divide the soup to oven-safe serving bowls and place 2 slices of bread in each bowl. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the bread..
- Place the bowls on the baking tray, cook in the oven or under the grill until the cheese is melted and golden..
- Remove carefully from the oven or the grill, and let cool for a few minutes otherwise you will burn your tongue! Serve on heatproof small plate..
Making truly authentic French Onion Soup is easier than you think! This wonderful, simple and flavorful soup is the perfect warm dish for winter! French onion soup is a hearty dish made with the comforting flavors of onions, beef stock, bread and cheese. Some variations call for chunks of beef, but in the classic rendition, the onions are the star. French Onion Soup is probably one of the most epic soups in this whole wide world.