Spicy Okra Soup. A delicious beef and vegetable soup that is a variation on the okra and tomato-based soup my great-grandmother used to make on the farm in Alabama. It's great with fresh or canned veggies, works with just about any alterations – I use fresh, locally-grown ingredients and it's always amazing. Spicy Okra Soup I decided to make okra soup from the ingredients I had on hand.
Wait until the soup has finished cooking before tasting and seasoning with salt and pepper. Make a heartier soup with the addition of cooked diced chicken, ham, or shrimp. For a vegetarian soup, use vegetable broth instead of chicken stock. You can have Spicy Okra Soup using 16 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Spicy Okra Soup
- You need 2 cups of fresh okra, sliced into coins.
- It’s 2 of small sweet potatoes.
- You need 1 teaspoon of thinly chopped fresh ginger root.
- It’s 1 of small or medium onion chopped.
- You need 1 (32 oz) of box chicken broth.
- You need 5 cups of water.
- Prepare 1 (10 oz) of can of Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies.
- Prepare Sprig of each: fresh parsley and basil leaves.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of millet.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of Caldo de Tomate tomato bullion.
- You need 1 teaspoon of fresh gatlic.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of apple cider viniger.
- Prepare 1 sprig of fresh basil for garnish at serving.
- It’s 1/2 cup of wheel shaped rotelle pasta.
- It’s 1 tsp of Soy Sauce.
- You need 1 tsp of extra salt to taste (optional).
Okra Soup Okra is often boiled or fried and served as a simple side in soul food restaurants, but in Charleston it often comes as a luscious vegetable soup with tomatoes, onion, and celery. Okra Soup is one of the quickest and easiest Nigerian soups to prepare. Some argue that a lot of work goes to the cutting of the two vegetables used in preparing this recipe. Yes but once the vegetables are ready; it cooks in no time at all.
Spicy Okra Soup step by step
- Add box of broth and water to large pot..
- Slice okra in coin size slices..
- Chop onion..
- Thinly slice and chop ginger root..
- Add chopped ingredients to the liquid..
- Slice potato and chop, then add to the liquid..
- Chop fresh parsley and basil and add to liquid..
- Add remaining ingredients to the liquid..
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 2 hours..
- Save a bit of the parsley and basil to garnish the soup at serving..
Add the rice, beans, tomato sauce and okra. Our Caribbean Spicy Okra Recipe is perfect of for a meatless meal. Even if you are not a fan of okras you will enjoy the taste of this seasoned dish. If you don't have fresh, frozen can be used. In fact, Vegetable Beef Soup is perfect for using up those last little bits of vegetables in your freezer.