Vickys Orange Poppy Seed Cake, GF DF EF SF NF. The longer name would be "orange, poppy seed, olive oil and yogurt loaf cakey-bread". This cake has the dense texture and light sweetness of pound cake. The subtle herbal notes of the olive oil hide behind the pervasive orange flavor in the poppy seed-studded.
I reworked her recipe for our Dads birthday today so we could all enjoy some. This recipe for flourless poppy seed cake makes a gluten-free and amazingly moist cake, with a great crunchy texture from the poppyseeds. I also flavored the cake with the zest of an orange (instead of vanilla) and omitted the baking powder, which didn't seem altogether necessary (the whipped egg. You can have Vickys Orange Poppy Seed Cake, GF DF EF SF NF using 15 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vickys Orange Poppy Seed Cake, GF DF EF SF NF
- You need of gluten free or plain flour (2 cups).
- It’s of baking powder.
- You need of granulated sugar.
- You need of xanthan gum if using gf flour.
- It’s of sunflower spread / butter (1/4 cup).
- It’s of full fat coconut milk.
- It’s of fresh orange juice.
- Prepare of vanilla extract.
- It’s of orange zest.
- You need of poppy seeds (1/4 cup).
- It’s of Orange Buttercream.
- Prepare of icing / powdered sugar.
- It’s of sunflower spread / butter.
- You need of fresh orange juice.
- You need of orange zest.
Orange & Poppy Seed Cake :: Megann's Kitchen :: :: orange & poppyseed cake with orange vanilla cream cheese frosting :: This cake is refreshing & delightful. I decided to gather the best aspects from a few recipes to make a dense cake perfect for an afternoon. Orange Poppy Seed Cake is the perfect way to celebrate summer or just about any season, holiday or occasion. Orange cake, orange glaze and orange drizzle.
Vickys Orange Poppy Seed Cake, GF DF EF SF NF step by step
- Preheat the oven to gas 4 / 180C / 350°F and grease & line an 8" round cake tin.
- Sift the flour into a stand mixer bowl. Add the baking powder, sugar, xanthan gum, sunflower spread, coconut milk, orange juice & vanilla and mix together on a medium speed for a few minutes until the batter is smooth and silky.
- If using gluten free flour you'll need to let the batter rest 10 minutes after beating then mix again adding in more coconut milk to adjust the consistency, up to 3 tablespoons. The mixture should be a little bit thinner than normal cake batter.
- Stir in the orange zest and poppy seeds until evenly distributed.
- Pour into the lined tin and bake for 55 – 60 minutes until risen, pulled in from the sides of the tin and nicely domed. Insert a toothpick in the middle to test it's cooked through, it will come out clean when done.
- Invert it onto a wire rack and let it cool completely.
- For the frosting, cream the icing sugar and butter together until pale and fluffy. Mix in the orange juice to thin the consistency then stir in the orange zest.
- Spread evenly on top decorate with some extra orange zest.
- Makes 1 layer of cake. Cake recipe and frosting recipe can both be doubled and split between 2 x 8" tins.
I have always had a bit of a thing about sharing my favorite foods. Put the poppy seeds and Orange & poppyseed cake was always my favorite and I would eat it every week until I moved to Europe where this cake doesn't exist! Flecked with orange peel and crunchy poppy seed, this pretty tube cake is pierced while hot and infused with an orange juice and liqueur syrup. Loosen cake from side of pan with spatula or knife. Invert cake onto wire rack; gently remove pan.