French Onion Soup. Stay warm with this GREAT French onion soup! With beef stock base, slow-cooked caramelized onions, French bread, gruyere and Parmesan cheese. French onion soup (French: soupe à l'oignon [sup a lɔɲɔ̃]) is a type of soup usually based on meat stock and onions, and often served gratinéed with croutons or a larger piece of bread covered with.
Look, French Onion Soup a challenging soup to eat: chunks of chewy cheese and soggy bread floating on top.but it's supposed to be that way. I often suggest additions or subtractions to a recipe. A French Onion Soup recipe we heard you say!? You can have French Onion Soup using 10 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup
- You need 4 Tbsp of butter.
- It’s 4 Tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 7 cups of sliced onions (about 7 medium onions).
- You need 3 Tbsp of flour.
- Prepare 8 cups of beef broth (I use 8 cups water and 8 packets beef bovril).
- It’s 1 clove of garlic sliced.
- It’s 1 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare 1 cup of dry white wine.
- You need 1 stick of French bread sliced into 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick pieces.
- You need of Swiss gruyere or mozzarella cheese (thinly sliced or grated).
No problem, French Guy Cooking to the rescue. Sweet onions, melted cheese and finished with a gnarly top. Learn how to make French onion soup with this classic French onion soup recipe! It's easy to make, full of amazing flavor, and can be made vegetarian by using vegetable stock.
French Onion Soup instructions
- Melt butter in large sauce pan then add 2 Tbsp olive oil..
- Stir in onions, garlic and sugar..
- Cook uncovered over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally for 20 to 30 minutes or until onions are golden brown..
- Sprinkle flour over onions and cook for another 1 or 2 minutes, stirring constantly..
- Add beef stock and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for another 30 to 40 minutes..
- While the soup simmers, prepare the bread..
- Brush bread slices lightly with remaining olive oil on both sides and put on pan in 350 degree oven. Lightly toast each side (turn part way)..
- Ladle soup into individual oven proof bowls and top with 2 or 3 slices of French bread followed by the cheese..
- Put oven proof bowls on a baking pan and bake in 350 degree for 10 to 20 minutes until cheese is melted..
French Onion Soup is easier than you think to make at home so you can cuddle up with a big bowl Just the name "French Onion Soup" blankets me in warmth – and has me drooling. I use a French Onion Soup recipe of an old ballet friend's mom as a guide, then tweak things a little here and there. My ballet friend's name was Paige and even though I haven't seen her since high. Our French onion soup is deliciously rich and easy to make at home. This savoury soup is perfect for using up a garden glut and great for dinner parties.