Classic Victoria Sponge Cake.
You can cook Classic Victoria Sponge Cake using 12 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Classic Victoria Sponge Cake
- Prepare of For the sponge.
- You need 200 g of Caster Sugar.
- You need 200 g of Softened butter.
- It’s 4 of eggs, beaten.
- You need 200 g of self-raising flour.
- You need 1 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 2 tbsp of milk.
- You need of For the filling.
- You need 100 g of butter, softened.
- It’s 120 g of icing sugar.
- Prepare 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- It’s 340 g of strawberry or raspberry jam.
Classic Victoria Sponge Cake step by step
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Butter two 20cm sandwich tins and line with baking paper. In a large bowl, beat all the cake ingredients together until you have a smooth, soft batter..
- Divide the mixture between the tins, smooth the surface with a spatula or the back of a spoon then bake for about 20 mins until golden and the cake springs back when pressed. Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely..
- To make the filling, beat the butter until smooth and cream, then gradually beat in icing sugar and then vanilla extract. Spread the buttercream over the bottom of one of the sponges, top it with the jam and sandwich the second sponge on top. Dust a little icing sugar on top before serving..